Thursday, October 11, 2012

My personal issues with paintball


Welcome back everyone! Briefly reviewing what was covered last week we went over the main rules of almost any kind of tournament or recreational play of paintball. Then we covered some of the issues that has grown with the sport, and then discussed the current states of these issues today. In this week’s post we're going to take things to a little more of a personal level. I'll be explaining a few personal issues (or complications) that I've overcome since I first started playing.
                When I first began playing paintball I played mainly because my friends played. If my friends never played then typically you wouldn't see me out there. Why? It was simple, I was afraid to get shot! I was so scared that I would literally shoot myself in the foot to get out. This didn't last long though, after a while my friends began to notice that I was always getting out with the same hit.  This caused them to modify the rules slightly; the change was that only head and torso shots were considered elimination shots. After being shot over 30 plus times I naturally became use to the feeling.
                Another issue that kept me from playing for several months was the expenses to play paintball. Paintball is a rather expensive sport, at first you can easily be paying 50 dollars to practice at your local field , and then when it come to playing tournaments you can easily be paying over 100 dollars! This quickly became an issue for me because I was only 13 years-old whenever I first began playing tournaments. My parents could only support me to such a certain extent but things kept becoming more and more expensive. So what could I do to fix this dilemma? Well, I began to volunteer as a referee at my local field which gave me a discounted price to practice. After around logging over 300 hours of volunteer work I began to play for basically free.  This helped me to practice more and get my skills to a more competitive level. I was then able to try out for a local travel team that is based out of Macon, GA, and now I am able to play tournaments at a fraction of the cost due to the sponsors the team has contracted with.
                Well that about wraps up this week’s blog post! If you have any questions or comments please just leave it in the comments section below. I’ll be more than glad to answer them in next week’s post! Be easy everyone, and have a nice  day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment